Development of the Act
In January 2013, the Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) released an Issues Paper and Discussion Paper about reforming NSW disability law:
- Issues Paper: Reforming NSW disability support - the fundamental legislative issues (PDF) (RTF)
- Discussion Paper: Reforming NSW disability support - legislative structure and content (PDF) (RTF)
- Easy read factsheet: New disability laws for NSW - fact sheet (PDF)
To inform the development of the new disability law, a series of community consultations were held across NSW in early 2013. Nearly 600 people attended these consultations.
The consultations asked for feedback on a range of issues under four key themes – scope and purpose, community inclusion, choice and control, and safeguards.
In addition to these face-to-face consultation sessions, a total of 64 written submissions about a new disability law were received. A report summarising the feedback is available:
- Feedback summary paper on the reform of NSW disability laws (PDF) (RTF)
- Easy read: Feedback summary paper (PDF)
Disability Inclusion Bill
In December 2013, a draft Disability Inclusion Bill 2014 and information about the draft Bill were released for consultation:
- Consultation Draft Disability Inclusion Bill 2014 (PDF)
- Information booklet (PDF) (RTF)
- Easy read: Information booklet (PDF)
- Fact sheet - English (PDF) (was also released in a range of languages – now archived)
- AUSLAN video
Feedback on the Bill included phone calls, emails, a video, responses via an online survey, and formal written submissions.
View the 87 public submissions on the draft Bill.
Read the report summarising feedback on the draft Bill and our response, including recommendations for revising the Bill:
A revised Disability Inclusion Bill 2014 was introduced into Parliament on 28 May 2014 and passed by Parliament on 14 August 2014.
View the final Bill and the second reading speech by the Minister for Disability Services, the Hon. John Ajaka MLC.
Read the media release by the Minister for Disability Services, the Hon. John Ajaka MLC on the passing of the Bill.
The Act commenced on 3 December 2014. It can be viewed on the NSW legislation website.
Disability Inclusion Regulation
A draft Disability Inclusion Regulation 2014 was released in September 2014. The Regulation provided the necessary detail for the Act to work properly. The following documents set out the draft Regulation and related information:
- Consultation Draft - Disability Inclusion Regulation 2014 (PDF) (RTF)
- Information Booklet about the Draft Regulation (PDF) (RTF)
- Fact sheet - English (PDF) (RTF)
- Easy Read factsheet (PDF)
Feedback on the draft Regulation closed late October 2014. View the 19 public submissions on the draft Regulation.
Read the report on the feedback on the draft Regulation and our response to this feedback, including proposed changes to the draft Regulation:
- Draft Disability Inclusion Regulation 2014: Your feedback, our response (PDF) (RTF)
The final Regulation commenced with the Act on 3 December 2014. It can be viewed on the NSW legislation website.
For more information about the Act and the Regulation, return to main page on the Disability Inclusion Act.