NSW's carers recognised
NSW Minister for Ageing and Minister for Disability Services Andrew Constance acknowledged the dedication and tireless work carers make to communities across the State at an awards ceremony at Parliament House on 15 October.
Mr Constance said the NSW Carers Awards aim to raise awareness about the vital role unpaid carers play in the community.
“We owe carers a huge debt of gratitude for their selflessness in supporting people with disability, mental illness, chronic health conditions or people who are frail,” the Minister said.
Maria Heaton from Pagewood has been named 2012 NSW Carer of the Year. She cares for her 16 year old son, Tristan who was born with a rare brain disorder which results in physical and intellectual disabilities.
Congratulations also go to this year’s ‘Highly Commended’ recipients:
- Lisa Ashford-Potter from Woonona
- Wendy Brown from Queanbeyan
- Pamela Comerford from Charlestown
- Tevita Mahe from Belfield
- Ping Mu from Cherrybrook
- Margot White from Broken Hill
- Australian Kookaburra Kids Foundation from Miranda
- Families Supporting Families from Newcastle
- Korean Cockatoos from Drummoyne
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Young Carers Network from the South Coast
- Northern Kids Care – On Track Community Programs from Mid North Coast