Disability Action Planning
Disability Inclusion Action Plans
The Disability Inclusion Act 2014 requires NSW public authorities to develop Disability Inclusion Action Plans (Action Plans).
Guidelines have been developed to assist NSW public authorities, which include most NSW government departments and local councils, in developing their Action Plans.
Action Plans will outline how NSW public authorities will make mainstream services and community facilities more accessibility to people with disability, helping to build more inclusive communities in NSW.
The new guidelines include a focus on:
- Alignment – The four focus areas in the guidelines align with the NSW Inclusion Plan, to ensure Action Plans operationalise the priorities areas of the NSW Disability Inclusion Plan
- Consultation – A greater emphasis is placed on consultation at all stages of planning, implementation and monitoring with people with disability, staff and the broader community
- Governance – Highlighting the importance of governance and accountability at the outset and providing advice on designing governance and accountability arrangements to encourage effective implementation.
Guidelines for the Action Plans will be available soon.
To request this document in alternative formats please contact us on: Phone: 1800 782 306 or Email: NSWDIP@facs.nsw.gov.au.
In 2013 Local Government NSW (LGNSW) and the Department of Family and Community Services commissioned a report to better understand current planning being undertaken by NSW councils to support access for inclusion for people with disability.
The research found that the majority of Councils are planning for inclusive and accessible communities.
- Three quarters of Councils undertake some consultation with people with disability.
- One third of Councils have a Disability Action Plan. Most commonly, Councils have a plan that is not disability specific but contains relevant strategies such as a social plan or ageing strategy.
- The most common planning aspects for Councils to support accessible communities include a focus on infrastructure and Council programs.