Ageing, Disability & Home Care

  • High contrast version
  • Increase the text size
  • Decrease the text size
  • Print this page

Complaints procedure

Our commitment 

We are committed to handling complaints in a fair and open way. Every effort will be made by Family and Community Services (FACS), Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC) to resolve the complaints it receives to the satisfaction of everyone involved.

If you make a complaint, you can expect that we will:

  • treat you with respect
  • tell you what to expect while your complaint is being looked into
  • carry out the complaint handling process in a fair and open way
  • provide reasons for decisions that are made
  • protect your privacy.

FACS Community Complaints Policy for Ageing and Disability Direct Services

The FACS Community Complaints Policy and Guidelines for Ageing and Disability Direct Services (Revised December 2015) are designed to ensure that complaints received by FACS are treated in a fair and just manner and managed and finalised with an outcome in line with legislation, other FACS policies and service commitments.

The following documents and templates are to be used:

Translated Community Complaint Forms

Who can make a complaint?

  • Anyone can make a complaint to ADHC.
  • You do not have to be receiving services from us or from a non-government organisation funded by ADHC to make a complaint.
  • You may make a complaint on behalf of someone else.
  • Anonymous complaints will be accepted and investigated as far as possible.

FACS staff who have complaints, including concerns relating to a client’s welfare, should refer to our staff grievance processes.

How do I make a complaint?

Complaints can be submitted by:

We will help you if you need assistance in making a complaint. For example, we can organise an interpreter if you need one.

You may wish to have an advocate or someone to act on your behalf to help you make a complaint. There are a number of advocacy services that provide this kind of help. Read more about ADHC funded advocacy services.

Who do I make a complaint to?

You can make a complaint to any staff member within FACS. We encourage you to discuss your complaint with local staff first.

  • ADHC services: You can make a complaint to ADHC about any aspect of its business or the services it provides directly.
  • ADHC licensed services: We license organisations or individuals to operate boarding houses. We can investigate complaints about possible breaches of licensing conditions. You can also make a complaint about ADHC operated, funded or licensed services to the NSW Ombudsman.
  • ADHC business partners: Funded and licensed service providers who have complaints about funding or administrative matters should refer to their funding agreement or licence.
  • ADHC funded services: We do not have the authority to directly investigate complaints about the following organisations and we recommend that you discuss the complaint with the organisation:
    • Non-government disability organisations, such as those who run group homes, respite and day programs, case management.
    • Organisations providing services under the Community Care Support Program (CCSP) program such as Meals-on-Wheels, Home Modification and Maintenance services, case management.
  • Criminal matters: Allegations of abuse or other criminal activities, such as theft, should be reported to the Police.
  • Child protection: Suspected ‘risk of significant harm’ to children and young people should be reported to the Child Protection Hotline by calling 132 111.

What happens once I make a complaint?

When you make a complaint we will explain:

  • what will happen while the complaint is being dealt with
  • who will deal with the complaint
  • what will happen next, such as when you are likely to be contacted again.

What if I’m not happy with the outcome of the complaint?

If you are not happy with the outcome of the complaint then you can ask FACS staff to review how the complaint was dealt with. You can do this in a letter, email, over the phone or in person. A more senior staff member may undertake the review.

FACS staff may gather additional information to review the decision. This may or may not lead to changes to the original decision.

Please see Section 4.9 of the FACS Community Complaints Guidelines for Ageing and Disability Direct Services (Revised December 2015) for further information.

Back to: top | ADHC home page