NSW Carers Advisory Council
There are approximately 850,000 carers in NSW. Carers provide regular unpaid support to those who need it because of disability, mental illness, chronic health conditions, frail age and dementia.
The NSW Carers Advisory Council advances the interests of carers. The Council provides advice to the NSW Government on legislation, policy and other matters that have a significant impact on carers.
The NSW Carers Advisory Council is supported by Ageing, Disability and Home Care.
NSW Carers Advisory Council priorities 2011-2013
The Council will advise the NSW Government on the following priorities:
- implementing the NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010 and Carers Charter
- identifying barriers and operational constraints that affect carers, and effective solutions
- raising awareness of carer services and supports and recommending ways to make the service system easier to navigate
- NSW position in national reviews and reforms related to carers
- supporting young carers and other priority carer groups.
Council members are appointed by the Minister for Disability Services for a three year term. The current term runs from 2010-2013.
- Hon. Andrew Constance MP is the Minister for Disability Services and Minister for Ageing and was the initial sponsor of the Carers (Recognition) Act 2010.
Ten of the Council members have current or previous experience of being a carer. These members have a diverse range of backgrounds and expertise and come from a range of metropolitan and regional areas within NSW.
- Mrs Deborah Bewick
- Mrs Nan Bosler OAM
- Ms Marylou Carter
- Ms Maryann Housham
- Ms Elizabeth Ingram
- Mrs Cheryl Koenig
- Ms Yvonne Quadros
- Ms Carolyn Quinn
- Ms Catharine Retter
- Mr Peter Stevens
- Ms Tabitha Wilson
Directly appointed representatives
- Ms Elena Katrakis, Chief Executive Officer, Carers NSW
- Professor Deborah Brennan PhD, Social Policy Research Centre, University of NSW
- Michael Woodhouse, Executive Director Carers, Ageing and Disability Inclusion, Department of Family and Community Services
- Dr Liz Develin, Acting Director, Integrated Care Branch, NSW Ministry of Health
Ms Helen McFarlane, Principal Policy Officer, Office for Carers, Department of Family and Community Services
Post address: Level 6, 83 Clarence Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9377 6000