Ageing, Disability & Home Care

  • High contrast version
  • Increase the text size
  • Decrease the text size
  • Print this page

Home and Community Care services

Home and Community Care (HACC) services help older people and people with disability to remain at home and prevent their inappropriate or premature admission to residential care.

Who can get a HACC service?

HACC services provide support to:

  • frail older people
  • younger people with disability
  • their carers

To be eligible for a service you must have a moderate, severe or profound disability or be caring for someone with the disability. People with disability who already receive an equivalent service through another program are not eligible to receive a HACC service.

Some services are mostly for, or may give priority to, special needs groups who find it more difficult than most clients to access services. These groups include:

  • people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
  • people with dementia
  • financially disadvantaged people
  • people living in remote or isolated areas

What services are provided?

A range of HACC services are available to help maintain the independence of eligible people, including help with household chores, health and personal care, activities and transport, short breaks and home maintenance and modification.

How much does it cost?

The HACC program subsidises costs to its clients.

All HACC services are required to have a fees policy, with the flexibility to reduce or waive fees according to the person’s financial situation.

The fees will be discussed with you and your carer prior to the delivery of services.

A person will never be refused access to services due to an inability to pay.

Find a HACC service in your area

The following organisations can help you find HACC service providers in your local area.

Commonwealth Carelink Centres

Use the Commonwealth Carelink Centres service quick find to search for service providers within your area or freecall 1800 052 222.

Your local council

See the NSW Office of Local Government's website for a full list of local councils and contact details.

HACC Development Officers

There are a number of HACC Development Officers across NSW that can be contacted directly for information about local HACC and related community care services. See full list of NSW HACC Development Officers.

If you live in the Hunter area you can call 1300 731 556 to make a referral.

share on facebook share on tweet share on yammershare by email
Back to: top | ADHC home page