Younger People in Residential Aged Care
The NSW Younger People in Residential Aged Care Program (YPIRAC) was introduced in 2007 as a joint initiative of the Commonwealth and NSW governments to provide accommodation and support to younger people with a disability living in, or at risk of entering, residential aged care.
The program aims to:
- help some younger people with a disability to move out of residential aged care into suitable alternative accommodation
- divert entry for some younger people who are 'at risk' of inappropriately entering a residential aged care facility
- enhance the delivery of disability services to some younger people with a disability who continue to live in a residential aged care facility.
The younger person with a disability, their family and carers work with us to design the most appropriate service packages for their individual needs. These could include:
- recreational and diversional therapy
- allied health services such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy
- clinically necessary equipment
- participation in day programs and community access
- support to visit family and friends and assistance to maintain family and social relationships
- supported alternative accommodation
- home modifications
- transitional case management and advocacy support.
All YPIRAC Program services are allocated on a priority basis as they become available. Where Program services are unavailable, applicants will be placed on a needs register for service allocation as resources allow.
The program is designed to assist people up to 65 years of age with a disability who are most inappropriately housed in, or at risk of inappropriately entering, residential aged care. Priority is currently given to people aged under 50 years living in residential aged care. The YPIRAC Fact Sheet provides more information on the eligibility requirements and the assessment process.
Information and applications
For more information, or to request an application package, contact the YPIRAC Information Line on 1800 467 622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.