Ageing, Disability & Home Care

  • High contrast version
  • Increase the text size
  • Decrease the text size
  • Print this page


What is Ageing, Disability and Home Care?

Ageing, Disability and Home Care (ADHC) is a NSW Government department that supports:

  • older people
  • people with disability
  • their families or the people who care for them.

What is disability?

A person may have a disability if they find everyday things difficult. For example, learning, thinking things through, seeing, hearing, speaking or moving around.

What supports are available?

There are different types of support available for people with disability depending on their needs. Some examples include support to:

  • get information and advice about services that are right for you
  • work out what you need and help you plan for your life
  • live more independently in your home either by yourself or with other people
  • understand your child’s disability and what support is available
  • learn new skills for employment and social activities
  • be part of your community
  • make it easier to do everyday activities like eating, moving around and speaking
  • get aids or equipment that help you
  • have a short break while your family or carer has a rest.

Who provides support?

Most supports are provided by organisations in your local community who are funded by ADHC. Some of these supports are provided by people who work for ADHC.

ADHC is working to help people with disability and their families have more choice about the support that suits their needs and their lives.

How can I get more information?

For more information about help for you or your family, call the Information, Referral and Intake team in your local area.

If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, choose a phone number for your local service and contact us through the National Relay Service:

  • TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for the phone number for your chosen service.
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for the phone number for your chosen service.

If you need assistance in your language please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450.

Back to: top | ADHC home page