Ageing, Disability & Home Care

  • High contrast version
  • Increase the text size
  • Decrease the text size
  • Print this page

Assisted Boarding Houses

Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) is responsible for licensing and monitoring boarding houses that accommodate two or more people with additional needs. These boarding houses are known as Assisted Boarding Houses (ABHs), but were formerly known as Licensed Residential Centres.

The Boarding Houses Act 2012 and Boarding Houses Regulation 2013 replaced the Youth and Community Services Act 1973 and Licensed Residential Centres Regulation 2010.

Read more about the Boarding Houses Act 2012 and the Boarding Houses Regulation 2013.

This legislation sets out minimum standards for the provision of accommodation services in ABHs.

Boarding house supports

The Boarding House Reform Program commenced in 1998 with the aim of improving the standards of accommodation and support provided to ABH residents.

The following support services for ABH residents are currently funded by the  Ageing Disability and Home Care (ADHC) Division of FACS:

  • case management
  • Primary and Secondary Health Care Service
  • the Active Linking Initiative Program (ALI)
  • advocacy services


Services provided to people who have relocated from an ABH and have high support needs include:

  • accommodation support services such as group homes and drop-in support.
  • community based activity services.

Boarding house relocation vacancy management is managed through regional processes. Residents and their families are consulted about accommodation options available to them in the event of a boarding house closure.

See Boarding House Program reports, policies and guidelines.

If you have a question about ADHC's ongoing role in relation to boarding houses, please email or call 02 9716 3025 and ask to speak to the Boarding Houses team.

share on facebook share on tweet share on yammershare by email
Back to: top | ADHC home page