Sector Planning Framework
We are making a major change to disability planning in NSW. We want to work with local communities to improve and build support for people with a disability so they can access the services and supports they need and to increase their contribution as part of the local community.
The Sector Planning Framework will:
- help local communities to deliver a person centred and lifespan approach to disability service provision.
- help ensure people with a disability can access mainstream services and participate in the general community.
The framework will use a place based planning approach. This means that local communities plan for services and supports that are flexible and suit their area.
The framework will be implemented with a range of partners including NGO peaks and service providers, NSW Government and Commonwealth agencies, local government and people with a disability, their families and carers. It will contribute at a local level to NSW 2021, the NSW State Plan.
The framework includes five operational elements:
- Knowledge and mapping
- Analysis and decision making
- Plans, implementation and review
We will continue to work with local communities and build on our existing relationships and planning processes. New plans will be put in place by 2013-14. They will include:
- strategies and priorities to increase access to mainstream services for people with a disability, their families and carers;
- strategies and priorities to improve coordination, collaboration, innovation and problem solving within the service system;
- strategies to expand capacity of the service system; and
- strategies and priorities that focus on early intervention and prevention.
Regional Implementation Plans
All regions have written their implementation plans which describes their activity to implement disability planning in their area. A summary of each region's plan is available below. These describe each region's approach to their plan, including the communities where work will start.
The Sector Planning Framework August 2012 (PDF) summarises the overall approach of the Sector Planning Framework.
The summaries can be downloaded below:
- Northern Region Implementation Plan Summary (PDF)
- Metro North Region Implementation Plan Summary (PDF)
- Metro South Region Implementation Plan Summary (PDF)
- Southern Region Implementation Plan Summary (PDF)
- Western Region Implementation Plan Summary (PDF)
- Hunter Region Implementation Plan Summary (PDF)
- Sector Planning Framework August 2012 (PDF)