Ageing, Disability & Home Care

  • High contrast version
  • Increase the text size
  • Decrease the text size
  • Print this page

Older parent carers

Older parent carers are parents aged 60 or over (or 45 or over if an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander) who are caring for their child with a disability or long term illness.

If you are an older parent carer, here are some ways to help you in your caring role.

Planning for the future

Many older parent carers are anxious about the future well-being of their adult child. There may come a time when you find you are unable to care for your child due to ill health or mobility issues. So it’s a good idea to plan ahead in case something unexpected happens.

Consider existing support networks

Think about what existing support is available to you from family, friends, neighbours and formal services. There may be ways you can adjust or increase this support to give you the help you need.

Support coordination program

We can work with you and your child to help you build and strengthen your social networks.

We can also help you prepare for future needs of your adult child and develop a contingency plan in case of emergency.

Contact your local ADHC office for information about the Older Parent Carer Support Coordination Service in your area.

Accommodation support

You may find you can no longer care for your child in your home. ADHC provides some options that may help.

Read more about somewhere to live.

Taking a break

Whether it’s visiting a friend, going to a show or working on your hobby, it’s important to take time out every now and then. Taking a break also helps your child learn new skills and expand their support network.

We provide respite services specifically to older parent carers so that you can have a break to pursue your own interests and build your own networks.

Flexible respite

For parents aged 60 and over (45 and over for Aboriginal parents), we provide a range of meaningful and positive activities and experiences for your child in respite care and a break for you. This type of respite can be in your home, host family or in a range of community settings through camps, holidays or recreational activities in the community.

Centre-based respite

For planned short term breaks, your child with a disability may be able to stay at a respite centre for more than one day.

Read more about respite.

Guardianship arrangements

The most common concern of ageing parent carers is Who will look after my child in the way that I have done? The Guardianship Tribunal provides information about guardianship and financial management orders for people aged 16 years and over with decision-making disabilities. 

share on facebook share on tweet share on yammershare by email
Back to: top | ADHC home page