Ageing, Disability & Home Care

What support may benefit you?

Support for children, young people and adults with disability may be accessed from mainstream services in the local community. Some people with disability and their family may also require specialist support to improve their quality of life, independence and wellbeing.

Services can work together with you and your family (or carers) to:

  • support you to make decisions and goals to achieve what you want for your life
  • develop functional capabilities and skills so you can participate in all aspects of your life and
  • enhance your access to activities, and your participation and inclusion in your community.

Specialist supports are most effective when they are incorporated into your daily routines and involve your family, friends and those in your community. People can choose to access supports in a range of environments, such as your home, school, work, community or a place of recreation.

Case management

A case manager can work together with you and your family/carer to identify your expectations and goals for now and the future, and to identify how your goals could be achieved.

A case manager can support you by:

  • supporting you to identify your individual goals and support needs
  • providing support and coordination to you and your family/carer based on your identified goals and needs
  • providing links to other informal and formal supports in your community
  • supporting you to access informal and formal supports
  • promoting your inclusion and involvement in your community
  • enhancing your strengths and your family‚Äôs strengths, particularly during times of change (such as leaving school)
  • developing a plan for your future that reflects your expectations and goals
  • providing information
  • supporting you and your family during periods of stress to stabilise routines.

Case managers can also work with your local community to be better able to meet your needs and the needs of other people with disability.

Occupational therapy

An occupational therapist can support with:

  • self care and daily living skills (such as dressing, bathing, toileting, personal hygiene, eating and drinking)
  • independence in your home and community. This can include modifying your home, or recommending specialised equipment
  • seating, positioning and mobility in your home and community. For example recommending a wheelchair
  • options for safe transport
  • enhancing play and leisure skills
  • improving fine motor skills. 


A physiotherapist can support with:

  • mobility in the home and community. This can include sitting, standing, walking, running, jumping, ball skills, riding a bike, and balance
  • physical activity, fitness and health
  • positioning and strength of muscles and posture
  • education about respiratory management
  • advice about special equipment to assist your movement and positioning
  • advice about safe lifting and moving. 

Speech pathology

A speech pathologist can support with:

  • how you communicate with other people. This can include speech, pictures, sign language, computers and technology
  • your understanding of what other people are saying and what is happening in the environment around you
  • your social skills and interaction with other people
  • safe eating, drinking and swallowing
  • mealtime skills. 

Community nursing

A community nurse can support with:

  • health and well-being
  • health related advice and education
  • health care planning and support for complex medical needs
  • linking you with other health care service providers such as doctors, hospitals and health care agencies. 


A dietitian can support with:

  • promoting nutritional well-being
  • identifying and addressing any specific dietary needs you may have
  • providing education about good nutrition. 

Behaviour Support

A psychologist or behaviour support specialist can support with:

  • positive behaviour interactions;
  • safe access in the community; and/or
  • information to assist you to determine your eligibility for disability services. 

Getting a service

Contact your local Information, Referral and Intake (IRI) service about how to access the most appropriate support for you.

share on facebook share on tweet share on yammershare by email
Back to: top | ADHC home page